This project is currently in progress!
I needed a place to store my tools and a small workshop to work out of. I started off by drawing s cheesy plan. Then went on to do something a tad bit formal in google sketchup. Then headed over to Home Depot and started my first round of purchases.
I started off with a 12 x 16 construct and used 2 x6 treated wood. I bought a few concrete pier supports and used an existing concrete slab for one of the corners. I leveled everything out and started to
Used google sketchup. If you arent familiar with it you should give it a try, it takes some time but its awesome. (DOWNLOAD)
2 x 6 treated wood.
I used 4″ deck screws and anchors to hold the joists in place. I also added some added reinforcement with some of the left over pieces I had.
Used 7/32 plywood for flooring. I plan on adding a subfloor at some point in the future so the subfloor wasnt too important to me personally. ( some might disagree ). Its a freaking shed so im not getting fancy.
Rear wall goes up and nailed in 2 x4’s to reinforce temporarily.
Front wall goes up and leveled. I framed out the door and added a header as well. I tried to stay within code compliance as much as possible. Also nailed it temporarily to the foundation.
It was much easier to build the side walls in place for two reasons. 1) its MUCH easier to lift into place and adjust. 2) It helps visually to reassure that it will be a good fit.
Closer shot of the header. I used (2) 2 x6 pieces and nailed a 2×4 to the top of the header.
A friend of mine mentioned that I would save myself a lot of time if I just laid the rafters on top of the frame top plate. I mocked it up and wasnt very comfortable with it so I decided I was going to notch out the front and back of the 2 x6 to sit inside the top plate of the front wall as well as the back wall.
Shot of the rafter sitting on the top plate of the back wall.
All of the rafters are in place!
Started putting the siding up. Again, another hard decision as to what to use. I decided to get the treated material that would be more impervious to elements. I can always come back and cover it up. It was about 20 bucks for each 4 x 8 sheet.
Shot of the siding almost complete. You see a lot of plastic in these pictures because it was raining off and on.
Siding complete and I also laid on the paper barrier for the roof!
This was my first time laying shingles and it wasnt difficult at all. Just time consuming and hot. Started at the bottom (this allows the water to flow downward without getting under the shingles.)
Halfway there! I used 4 nails per shingle and used a hammer. Im a huge fan of pneumatic tools but the shed wasnt too big. If you lay the tar paper down correctly, it has guides that you can follow to try and stay as straight as possible! Since you are staggering the shingles you will have an overhang on the ends, you can cut when you’re done and there is a cool utility blade designed specifically for that!
End result of roof.
The opening I ended up with was 5′ wide so I just decided to make it with some spare parts I had left over.
Framed in the doorway with 1 x 6 material.
I purhcased gate hinges ( any hardware store) and fastened them to the outer frame first, then with the help of my wife, held it in place where it was level and screwed it into the door itself.
I was curious how the light looked through the window openings up on top so I connected my portable lamp and hung it from one of the beams.
Went to a local shop and had them cut my windows to the measurements of the opening. I used 3/4″ material to make the window frame by making Miter cuts with the Miter Saw.
Here it is in place. I used a brad nailer to fasten the frame into the opening, placed the glass next with a little bit of silicone and nailed another inner frame on the inside.
I decided to make a storage shelf that would give me plenty of space to store items underneath without obstruction. I measured 33″ in height and went 8ft long. I placed reinforcement 2×4 cuts to secure it.
I added additional reinforcement from the bottom with a 45 degree cut that screwed in at the top miter cut and nailed in with my nail gun to the stud frame. ( check to make sure its level)
Again i used some of my roof scrap material to use as a shelf top. I measure the depth (roughly about 20″) and cut it across my scrap. I measured 16″ apart for the cuts so that the shelf rests all the way to the back of the stud. Another neat trick you can use: Prop your shelf where it will sit. Mark the center where the studs fit. Take a scrap piece of 2×4 material (smaller the better) and center it over your mark. Trace the outline of the 2×4 and make your cut with a jigsaw.